THE END OF INCIVILITY?


FRONT PAGE NEWS

Never do I get involved into talking politics (even though I am a graduate in Political science). Should I say for the sake of neutrality, I would rather see myself as a moderator than as an instigator? This being said, it does not mean that politics and etiquette are not linked. I am deeply interested in politeness strategies. Nevertheless, I am planning in writing an article on politeness stategies in an intercultural context. I am becoming serious now...

Are etiquette and manners long gone from politics? In January, President Barack Obama, in a live streaming session on YouTube, talked about incivilities politicians say to one another. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjl8ka3F6QU&sns=fb

Last month, the notion of civility came back in the discussions on social media as something we should never lack in our interactions with others. Which propelled me into revisiting the principles as presented in Pr. Forni Civility Project. There is more than 15 principles, please accept my own editing in the summary below of our Top 5. 

LESSONS OF ETIQUETTE | TOP 5 

Rf. Pr Forni Civility Project http://krieger.jhu.edu/civility


- Speak kindly 
 - Don’t speak ill 
 - Respect Other’s opinion 
 - Respect other people’s space 
 - Apologize earnestly 

 And by the way, stop swearing! It’s offensive. Yes, it is! 

ON ANOTHER NOTE 

This past 10 days have been so busy, I was invited to give a talk, in Paris,on Politeness in the era of social media and I have launched a new twitter feed dedicated to etiquette and manners. The address is www.twitter.com/i_manner Follow me it’s going to be groovingly interesting.

Comments

Popular Posts